Coach Dave Daubenmire
May 6, 2010
“For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.” -I Corinthians 1:18
I lost my race for Congress last night. It played out pretty much the way I envisioned it would. I had warned the Tea Party movement that they better pick a horse in the primary or they would wind up with a choice between two Bob Dole clones in November.
That is exactly what they got. Here are the results. The virtual tie between the top two “conservative” Republicans will require a recount, but it won’t matter. There isn’t a nickel’s difference between them.
Candidate % of Votes Number Of Votes
Bob (R) 20.97%
Dailey, Fred (R) 20.66% 10,789
Moll, Jeannette (R) 19.00% 9,922
Hood, Ron (R) 15.59% 8,140
Daubenmire, Dave (R) 11.91% 6,221
Liggett, Hombre (R) 7.69% 4,017
Royer, Michael (R) 2.48% 1,295
Bromberg, Beau (R) 1.69% 884
Consider this. No matter who wins, 80% of the voters did not vote for the standard bearer. The top three are all Republican hacks. The bottom five ran against the machine. With no Tea Party endorsement the votes were spread out among the “citizen” candidates. The Tea Party candidates win the most votes….except the Tea Party wanted to remain neutral. Because the Tea Party votes were spread around the voters get to choose between Bob Dole and Zack Space in November.
Sometimes I wonder why I even bother...
But let me share a few important lessons that I learned.
• It is very difficult to defeat the Political machine. They are ruthless, dishonest, and well funded. They choose the candidate, fund the candidate, and oppose anyone who challenges the status quo.
• Most folks are all bark and no bite. Very few in my circle of friends lifted a hand to help; they didn’t take a yard sign, write a check, or offer any assistance; Most didn’t even encourage their friends to vote for me: not as much as an email to their list in support of my run.
• I had lots of help but most of it came from “outsiders.” My campaign manager Mark Mattingly, contacted me on line and volunteered to help. He put in an incredible month of work. He never asked for a dime, in fact, he sacrificed his own money. Helpers came out of the woodwork, most donations came from strangers on-line and from radio appearances on The Power Hour and Call to Decision, as well as those who responded from News With Views.
• The day after the election many of my friends are contacting me and saying “Hey, you could have won. I never dreamed you could get that much support.” No wonder we lose.
• Less than 20% of the registered voters turned out to vote. Only 51,421 votes were cast. If only 4733 Evangelicals had turned out and voted for me I would have won. Do you suppose there were 4733 Christians among the 205,684 who didn’t go to the polls?
I should have won this race in a romp.
• Despite what you hear in the news people are still not hurting enough. Government assistance in the form of unemployment checks has softened the pain. Things are not going to get better. Their pain threshold is about to be tested. Only then will they fall on their face and beg for mercy.
• I led with the cross. Every piece of campaign literature, every sign we stuck in the ground, every email we sent had a picture of my Cross hat on it. We made it very clear that this was an opportunity to vote for the Cross. Never in my lifetime has such a bold Christian witness been given to the electorate.
• But the church missed the signal. They didn’t turn out. The cowardly pastors did not encourage them to. They chose “Lukewarm” politicians over a “hot”, on-fire-for-Jesus Christian. I promised to carry the cross over from the church to the Congress. Most stayed home and watched American Idol. They are without excuse, dumbed down by government schools, brain-dead TV, and milquetoast pastors.
I am full of energy this morning. The Lord has given me an indomitable spirit, and a certain belief that our King is about to do something wonderful in our midst. As John Paul Jones boldly declared in the face of certain defeat “I have not yet begun to fight!” I am convinced more than ever than I am treading the right course.
As I was walking out of the garage this morning an unfamiliar car rolled up the driveway. I walked out to meet the occupants only to recognize the passenger as Tom, Pastor of a small, Lutheran church a few country miles away. He was holding in his hand two brown muffins. He stepped out of his car, extended his hand and breathed new life into me.
“Coach Dave, I had to look up your address on the Internet. I hope you don't mind my stopping by. I just wanted to let you know how proud I am of you and your strong public witness for the cause of Christ. I am ashamed that the body of Christ all across this district did not turn out to support your obvious promotion of the Cross. We should all get on our faces and beg the Lord to forgive us for our lack of defense of the Cross.
With tears running down his cheeks this soft spoken man of God continued, “Coach, we have got to find the men. Our churches have become so cowardly and the men in particular so effeminized, that something drastic must be done. I would like to offer our church facilities and anything I can do to help you train men to run to the battle. I am so ashamed, Coach…we may never have another opportunity like this again in our lifetime. Please Coach, we must reach the men.”
Lord forgive me for being so calloused towards this faithful man down the road…
The battle is clearer to me than it has ever been. It took a run for congress and a humble man of God to remind me where the real battle is raging. The battle for Truth is in our churches. Only bold Christian men can save this nation. I will continue to point that out no matter how many lame excuses I hear from the blind guides, and those who enable them, and their complicity in the culture-suicide the salt-less-Gospel is permitting.
Subscribe to the NewsWithViews Daily News Alerts!
“For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? -I Peter 4:18
Thanks to all of you who supported my run. It was time well spent and finances planted into good soil.
Let the preacher boy you bow to know that I have him in my sights.
I lead with a Cross. He won't have time to duck.
Order the CDs here.
Do you think like a Christian or a humanist? Did the Founders really separate Church and State? Is Judicial tyranny ruining America? Check out these great teachings by the Coach
� 2010 Dave Daubenmire - All Rights Reserved
Up For Free E-Mail Alerts
E-Mails are used strictly for NWVs alerts, not for sale
Coach Dave Daubenmire, founder and President of Pass The Salt Ministries www.ptsalt.com and Minutemen United www.minutemenunited.org, is host of the high octane Pass The Salt radio show heard in Columbus, Ohio.
In 1999 Coach Daubenmire was sued by the ACLU for praying with his teams while coaching high school in Ohio. He now spends his energy fighting for Christian principles in the public domain.