July 19, 2012
I would like to describe America’s mainline Protestant churches as roadkill, only it’s awfully hard to run yourself over with a car. And yet there they lie, smashed flat on the road of history: and they’ve done it to themselves.
Case in point: the recently-concluded 13th Voices of Sophia chin-wag, in which an unspecified number of self-described “passionate feminist/womanist/mujerista justice-lovers”—or, more simply, idiots—got together to pat themselves on the back for their success so far in destroying the churches that ordained them. (I notice some of you scratching your heads over the term “mujerista.” It really isn’t worth the effort.)
They will not be able to destroy Christianity itself. The true Church, Christ’s people, will always trickle through their fingers. The mainline/flatline denominations, the usual suspects—the Presbyterian Church USA, the Episcopal Church, the Evangelical Lutheran Church, big chunks of the United Methodist Church, and a few others—are in the process of turning themselves into some religion other than Christianity. They still call it Christianity, just as truthfully as the Caesars called Rome a republic. But calling a tail a leg doesn’t make it one.
The Voices of Sophia—“Sophia” is their “Goddess of Wisdom”—insist they’re not trashing the Christian religion, but only “re-imagining” it. So let’s look at some of the things they’ve imagined. We’ll use their own words, as reported in “The Presbyterian Layman,” July 16.
• ”Dream the vision, share the wisdom dwelling deep within.” Translation: Why bother with the Bible, when you, yourself, already contain all the wisdom that you’ll ever need? This is not so much feminism as it is “me-ism.”
• See “how tenaciously some Christians cling to traditional norms and how ecstatically others find release from them.” Whoopee! Throw away those stodgy old “norms,” those Christian standards of faith and morality—and it’s party time!
• God is to be “re-imagined by many names: Baker Woman God, Strong Mother God, Warm Father God, She Who Is and Will Be,” yatta-yatta.
Question! If God is whoever or whatever you imagine God to be, then who or what is supreme—God, or your imagination?
We note in passing how stilted, how dull, how predictable are these imaginings. Any 12-year-old who hasn’t done his homework can come up with more creative stuff than this.
• ”Denouncing the idea that Jesus was a substitutionary surrogate who had to die for our sins in order to satisfy the demands of a patriarchal Father God.” Could someone please explain to me what remains of Christianity if this, the heart and soul and essence of it, is cast away?
• And of course no consuming act of apostasy would be complete without this: “a large group of women gathered on a stage and ‘came out’ as lesbians, prompting a standing ovation and cheers from all who celebrated their liberating act of truth-telling.” Hip-hip-hooray. I guess they’ve borrowed their doctrine from Rasputin: “We must sin in order to be saved.” The only adjective that will suffice for this dazzling display of flim-flam is “satanic.”
“The whole world lieth in wickedness,” wrote the Apostle John (I John 5:19). In the flatline churches where “re-imagining” has taken root, seminary-trained mujerista preachers celebrate wickedness, and cultivate it as you would a garden of exquisite flowers. People by the tens of thousands are stampeding out of these churches. A few valiant souls remain in them, fighting a rear-guard action to preserve their denominations’ allegiance to Christ the King. When they finally leave, there will be no one left but heretics and fools.
And it’s all covered by a fig-leaf of what is falsely advertised as “justice.” What is justice, as the flatliners see it? Abortion. Same-sex pseudomarriage. The destruction of Israel. The destruction of economic freedom. Massive government intervention in our lives to combat the imaginary threat of Man-Made Global Warming. (You can still say “man”-made if it’s something bad.) Coercive redistribution of wealth. The abolition of God’s law.
Subscribe to the NewsWithViews Daily News Alerts!
None of this is Christianity. It is a parasite religion which has usurped the name and outward form of Christianity, and poisoned the soul of Christianity in those churches where it reigns. In the name of Jesus Christ it makes war on God’s Word: by which they blaspheme, taking Christ’s name in vain and using it to bear false witness against Himself.
As the Christians flee apostate churches, the flatline denominations will remain as magnets for the misbegotten. As our civilization deteriorates, their membership may stop declining and actually increase. We may even, some unblessed day, inaugurate a president in the name of Baker Woman God.
Please pray for that day never to occur.
© 2012 Lee Duigon - All Rights Reserved
Lee Duigon, a contributing editor with the Chalcedon Foundation, is a former newspaper reporter and editor, small businessman, teacher, and horror novelist. He has been married to his wife, Patricia, for 34 years. See his new fantasy/adventure novels, Bell Mountain and The Cellar Beneath the Cellar, available on www.amazon.com